Due to widespread use of Internet and storage of information digitally, protection from identity theft has become more important than ever.
There is a growing percentage of people falling prey to Identity Theft cases. Let us look at some startling facts and figures from NCJRS for the year 2014 (the latest available data)
- About 7% of people aged 16 or older were victims of identity theft in 2014-15.
- More than one billion records were leaked in 2014 alone.
- The majority of identity theft victims (86%) experienced the fraudulent use of existing account information, such as credit card or bank account information.
- The number of elderly victims of identity theft increased to 2.6 million in 2014.
- Every minute about 19 people fall victim to identity theft.
In such terrifying state it’s important to use a reliable Identity theft protection service. Check out the reviews of Lifelock Identity Theft protection service which speaks for itself.
Some tips to minimize the risk of Identity Theft for Employees
- Ensure that each employee has a cabinet with lock to store their personal belongings like purse, wallets, files etc.
- Secure office internet connection using VPN or strong Firewall.
- Educate your employees to identity potential Identity theft. Most of the ID theft cases incurred losses less than $100. They may sound insignificant but can act as a wakeup call to prevent an impending disaster.
- Conduct seminars and orientation to educate the employees of proactive responses for an ID Theft case.
How does an Identity Theft Protection Company Guarantee Safeguard
It doesn’t matter how well you protect leakage of your personal information, there are always some loose ends. It is highly recommended to use an ID theft protection system which prevents your Personally Identifiable Information (PII) using the following primary features:
- Lost/stolen wallet Protection- If you happen to lose your wallet, you must be able to cancel all the debit/credit, Social Security and insurance cards along with the checkbooks and driver’s license as soon as possible.
- Identity Theft Alert- Your ID Theft Protection service must be able to monitor and alert you in case your personal information is misused on social media or legal (illegal) transactions.
- Alert for illegal trading of Personal information- People’s personal information is openly bought and sold online at huge prices. The service must be able to check trading of your personal Information on black market.
- Address Change Verification- One of the most popular method of stealing someone’s Identity is to redirect the Personal Information to a fraudulent new address. You must be notified in such cases.
Additional, but important features
Apart from the basic features many ID Theft Protection service provide certain additional features. Some of these additional features are indeed impressive:
- Child ID Protection- Your under age child’s personal information is the most vulnerable entity to get stolen.
- Warning Alerts- It is always good to be safe than sorry. Imagine if the ID Protection company sends you an alert when hint of suspicious activity is monitored. Neat, isn’t it?
- Mailing List Removal- There are marketers who broadcast spam mails to a wide user base, spreading your Email ID in the process. This feature lets you remove your ID from such a mailing list.
- Medical Identity Theft Protection- After reports of exponential rise in Medical Identity Theft leading ID Theft Protection services are embedding this tool in their programs.
With numbers of Identity Theft cases soaring by the minute, the need for an Identity Theft Protection is becoming vital. Use a dedicated Identity Theft Protection service to prevent any unforeseen damage, personally and professionally.