We all dream of a beautiful smile with sparkling white teeth that we see on television and magazine advertisements. But not all of us can afford expensive professional teeth whitening at a dental clinic. A Beautiful smile helps to boost up one’s confidence and public presentation many folds. Thus, here we are presenting few ways to brighten up your teeth naturally, without affecting the enamel quality: (Please do not club two remedies at once and try sticking to just one remedy at one time or it may damage your teeth)
- Milk Powder and Toothpaste: Milk is a rich source of calcium and phosphorous that helps replenish the minerals lost from the tooth and promote gum health. This method is really simple to use and improves your tooth and gum health in the long run.
- How to Use: Apply toothpaste on the brush as you do and simply put some milk powder on the top and brush. This can be done for 2 times a week.
- Activated Charcoal: Activated charcoal is an antioxidant that acts by removing toxins and surface stains left by food and tea. Its use as a home remedy to brighten teeth is gaining importance due to its easy availability, low cost, and easy use.
- How to Use: Take powdered charcoal or one tablet of activated charcoal and crush it. Then, using a wet toothbrush, brush it over all your tooth surfaces just as you do with the toothpaste, then rinse and you shall notice an immediate brightening of your teeth. This can be used a few times again to make teeth up to 2 shades lighter.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide is a very commonly used bleaching agent. It can be used to bleach teeth too, but with a lot of caution. This method should never be used by people who suffer from tooth sensitivity. It can be used as a mouthwash (1.5 % or 3% solution only) to brighten up your teeth, this mouthwash also helps treat pyorrhea and bleeding gums.
- How to Use: It may be used as a mouthwash. Or you may simply dip a cotton bud into the strong solution and gently rub it over all the tooth surfaces to immediately whiten up your teeth.
- Baking Soda and Lemon Juice: This method uses basic applied science. Baking soda on combining with lime juice releases gases that help break surface stains on the teeth. Lemon juice on the other hand also contains acetic acid that helps cleanse the teeth even better. Not to forget about the natural antimicrobial property of lime that helps fight gum diseases.
- How to Use: Put some baking soda powder on a dry brush and add a few drops of fresh lemon juice over it, and then brush. Please don’t do this more than once in 7 to 15 days as it might lead to sensitivity.
- Baking Powder and Lemon Juice: This combination acts similar to the baking soda and lemon juice, only that it is quite gentle on the teeth comparatively. This again can be used once or twice a week in a month to achieve many shades lighter teeth.
- How to Use: Mix one part of baking powder and one part of fresh lime juice to form a paste. Use this paste to brush your teeth normally. Don’t use this method more than twice a week and don’t leave it for more than 1 minute over your teeth, as overdoing it may cause weakening of tooth enamel.
- Baking Soda and Water: This method is a little gentle as compared to the baking soda & the lemon juice method.
- How to Use: Mix one part of baking soda powder with two parts of water to form a paste and then brush with this paste to brighten up your teeth.
- Lemon Juice and Water: Mix equal amounts of fresh lemon juice and water and swish it around for 2 minutes in the mouth and then rinse with water. Do this once a week for a month to achieve a lighter shade of teeth.
- Sea Salt, Lemon Juice, and Toothpaste: Sea salt is rich in raw minerals that help strengthen the tooth surface and have excellent abrasive qualities.
- How to Use: Mix 1 teaspoon sea salt with some fresh lime juice and a pea size amount of toothpaste. Use this mixture to brush your teeth once or twice a week to see its amazing brightening effects.
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Water: Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature which makes it a good cleansing agent plus it also has excellent antibacterial action. It is also used for weight loss.
- How to Use: Mix half teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and rinse with this solution daily. This mouthwash can be used daily for about a week to brighten up your smile.
- Strawberry and Baking Soda: Strawberry is a delicious acidic food that has excellent abrasive qualities too. Thus, all this adds up to make an efficient tooth whitener.
- How to Use: Mash one fresh strawberry into a paste and mix half teaspoon baking soda into it. Use this paste for brushing your teeth and leave it on for about 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse. It can be repeated once or twice a week for about a month.
- Toothpaste, Sea Salt, Baking Soda, and Lemon Juice: All these are really strong ingredients, thus, using them in the correct proportion is really important.
- How to Use: Mix a pinch of sea salt, a pinch of baking soda, one teaspoon of toothpaste and 3 to 4 drops of lime juice in a dish. Brush with this mixture for about 3 minutes and then rinse. You should never use this mixture more than once in 4 months as it is really strong.
To conclude, keep away from beverages like tea, coffee & aerated drinks & foods which may stain your sparkly whites and visit your dentist on a regular basis.
About the Author:
Dr. Madhvi Nagpal and her team of doctors have been practicing dentistry in New Delhi, India for the last 12 years. They use the latest equipment and materials in the dental treatments and follow the latest trends in dentistry. She has treated over 100 thousand patients during her practice & is an experienced dentist with specialization in Dental Implants. Click here to know more about the cost of dental implants & procedure.