What is Whey protein?
Whey is one of the types of protein separated out from milk while making cheese. It has essential amino acids as protein is made of different amino acids. The amino acids present in whey protein are: Alanine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Threonine, Tryptophan, Tyrosine, Valine (BCAA), Lysine, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, Cystine, Glycine, Glutamic Acid, Histidine, Isoleucine (BCAA), and Leucine (BCAA). These amino acids are responsible for the primary function of whey protein, also for the metabolism take place inside the body.
Whey protein itself is considered as a complete protein for our body in terms of growth and development. It is the only source which improves the nutrient content in our diet and works effectively on our immune system. It is now marketed throughout the world as a dietary supplement.
Whey Protein Composition
Whey Protein is a mixture of different components apart from essential amino acids. Inside the blend there are:
- Bovine serum albumin
These above components of whey protein present in fractions and their special blend support muscle maintenance, toning, build up for hardcore bodybuilders. As per Sports Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism Whey protein is considered as an ideal supplement for Athletes, bodybuilders, and regular workout champions. The presence of essential amino acids needed by the body in order to build and repair muscle. Low lactose is one of the features of whey protein. The proper utilization of Whey protein in such a manner that the body uses protein during and after exercise also utilizes carbohydrate or fat for energy.
Types of Whey Protein
Basically, Whey proteins are of three types. Each process with a different level of functional benefits.
- Whey Protein Concentrate- It is one of the less processed whey protein with cheapest and low protein content out of three (per 100gm). It has the immune enhancing formula with various peptides present in the supplement like alpha-lactalbumin & Immunoglobins.
- Whey Protein Isolate- It is a type of protein, processed for the longer time to attain its purity. Fat and lactose are removed during the process to make it more concentrated form. Whey Protein Isolate has a protein concentration of more than 95%. This form of the protein is beneficial in the digestion of nutrients and easy absorption.
- Whey Protein Hydrolysate- The protein which most highly processed so expensive too. In its processing, the longer whey protein breaks down into small peptides so that it can easily be absorbed by the body.
Whey Protein Processing
Whey Protein is processed in many steps in order to maintain its nutritional value and purity.
The following processing steps are normally required to manufacture whey powder:
- Preheating- At the beginning, raw whey is placed for the preheating process, so that the separation and concentration can be done easily.
- Concentration– In this process evaporation is the basic technology which is being followed to separate any solid from the solutions.
- Flash cooling- Now after evaporation, little cooling is done to the whey content, so that crystallization can be done.
- Pre-crystallization- In the process of just before crystallization the whey is processed to solidify into powder form.
- Spray drying– This process of drying is done by spraying hot air in order to remove liquid completely out of the Whey powder.
- Powder packaging and transport– After spraying whey Protein powder is placed in the cooling chamber and further moved for packaging and transport.
5 Whey Protein Benefits
Whey protein supplement is required for those who are interested in building muscle, lose body fat, improve stamina & performance level, fast tissue recovery along with overall health and wellness.
There are several health benefits of Whey Protein in the context of consumption, also different research is going to get new possible therapeutic properties.
The potential health benefits of whey protein include:
- Muscle Building- Taking Whey Protein during an exercise regimen of short to long duration is beneficial in building muscles. It provides protein, amino acids, and other essential nutritional components to support muscle growth.
- Fat Burner- The protein in Whey is of very high quality which regulates the appetite and reduces unusual hunger. Basically, whey protein is the key element to burn fat in the body.
- Fastest Recovery- After excessive workout sessions, muscles come under huge pressure and starts damaging the fibers and tissues. Whey Protein Isolate protects tissues and cells from direct damage. It gives fast recovery of muscles to enhance the level of performance.
- Immunity- There is a key importance of whey protein in your diet that supports for a healthy immune system. Immunoglobins are found in whey protein powder as antibiotics in concentrations of as much as 10-15%.
- Overall Wellness- Whey Protein is responsible for overall health and wellness by providing growth and development. Different kind of diseases, disorders like cardiac problems, late recovery of tissues can be overcome with the regular intake of Whey protein.